Applications for new ordinary members should be made using the Membership Application Form. Application forms should be sent to the EPS Administrator by email (preferred) at email@example.com by one of the application deadlines, 1st March or 1st September. The completed documents can also be sent by post.
In order to become a member of the EPS, you must:
- be a researcher in experimental psychology (broadly interpreted)
- hold a PhD
- have presented an oral presentation* and / or a research study poster to a meeting of the Society
- have published an account of their research with prominent authorship (e.g. sole, first or last) in peer reviewed, reputable, psychological or cognate journals (a minimum of two papers)
- be able to attend meetings reasonably often (those who are resident outside Europe will be asked for assurance that they can attend meetings reasonably often)
- be nominated by two EPS members
*If your talk is a substitute for another listed in the programme, the EPS would only regard it as qualifying you for membership of the Society if the substitution is confirmed before the online programme is finalised (one week before each meeting). If you wish to discuss this issue, or criteria for membership more generally, please contact the EPS Administrator / EPS Hon Secretary.
Once the applications are received, the EPS committee scrutinise applications and recommend eligible applicants for full membership. Brief details of recommended candidates will be circulated to members of the society who may request further information. The list of eligible applicants will be put to the July Business Meeting, following the March deadline, and the Annual General Meeting in January, following the September deadline, for approval.
Any candidate not selected as eligible by the Committee will be informed, advised whether he/she may be proposed for membership in a future year and, if so, subject to what conditions.
Identifying EPS members for nomination
Applicants who meet all the eligibility criteria for ordinary membership, but do not have a sponsor in the Society, are invited to contact the EPS Administrator at firstname.lastname@example.org for help identifying EPS members in their home institution, or a member of the committee, who can provide a nomination.